Friday, September 16, 2011

let me tell you the story about Rodney

let me get drunk
and tell you the same story
again and again
about Rodney
who died on his bicycle
and though i didn't know him
i thought of him as a mystic
foreign tongued shaman
sitting at the corner store

we can have our laughs
but i never feel safe
it's easier to blame the scar beneath my navel
on teen angst
it's hard to be a good friend
yawning while you speak with them
repeating key words
to calm your demons
listen, listen

let me tell you the story
of how i will forget everything
again and again
as not to offend you
it is much easier
than to tell you
how as a child
i became a crippled pony
crawling on my knees for weeks

do not trust a word i am saying
it is easier
to stay strangers
as not to hurt you
when i ask your name for the fourth time
or you can come home
and wrap gauze around my knees
listen as i tell you the story about Rodney

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include your name, friend.